Project Updates (July 2019)
Pond updates are as follows:
- Coal ash is being removed from Pond A.
- Leachate sample testing, which will determine passive treatment feasibility, is being conducted in Pond B. Design and permitting of the alternative treatment system are expected to be completed by Fall 2019. Final closure design will be completed alongside leachate treatment design and permitting.
- The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Ohio Department of Natural Resources (DNR) are working on the coal ash placement design of Pond C. The perimeter dikes will be regraded to improve slope stability. Closure design is estimated to be submitted in early Fall.
- Pond C Extension is approved to receive the ash from Pond A. The final closure design, including capping, will be completed at a later date.
In addition to the work on the ponds, updates on the demolition and abatement within the main building are as follows:
- Asbestos Abatement in Building: 100% Complete
- Universal Waste Removal in Building: 98% Complete
- Boiler & Precipitator Decommissioning: 80% Complete
- Main Demolition Estimated Start Date: September 2019
Additionally, the first phase of our geotechnical investigation and sampling has been completed for the Pond Run Long-Term Ash Disposal Facility. A second phase of geotechnical investigation is in progress to fill limited data gaps. The closure design will start in fall 2019.
Quarterly groundwater sampling and analysis is ongoing, in accordance with Ohio EPA requirements. To date, no observations have exceeded the applicable standards.